Thursday, March 13, 2008

Review: State B Girls

Hello everybody! First of all, I apoloize these State Reviews are a bit late in coming, but we've had a fairly busy week trying to wrap out heads around the end of prep basketball...a sad thought, I know.

Before I get to the preivew...a quick note:

The 2007-2008 season was my first experience with Montana High School Basketball. I was born and raised in the basketball hub of Southern California, so I've seen my fair share of good ball players over the years, including several that are now in the NBA. But never before have I seen more parity within every conference than I did this season.

There were so many close games, so many last second game-winners that it truly made this season a joy for me to watch. There might not be the individual talent here as in bigger states such as California, Texas, or Ohio...but I would much rather see a close game than a team dominate with overwhelming talent.

So Montana Basketball has my seal of approval, without a doubt.

On to the State B Girls Review...

If you'll recall my State B Girls Preview, I thought Fairfield would win this tourney, and they did, fairly easily, winning all three games by at least 12 points. Fairfield was a very good squad all year long from the tough Norhern Division. If they played to their potential, which they did, they were going to be the best team there, which they were, and would win this tourney, which they did. How often does that happen anymore? :)

I did not however, see Whitehall as the team Fairfield would have to beat in the title game. Whitehall pulled off what I considered a good upset against Malta, preventing an all-North title game, something we saw a lot of this season at State. The M'Ettes did end up taking third, beating a very game Cascade squad in the Consolation game.

The most dissapointing division had to be the East (represented by Shepherd and Columbus). The Lady Cougs, who came in the East's #1 seed, went two and out. In all fairness, their 1st Round matchup was against eventual state champion Fairfield. But I expected more of the Lady Cougs in their loser-out contest against Loyola, in which Columbus lost 52-45. As for Shepherd, they also lost in the 1st Round to eventual 3rd place winner Malta, but did manage to win their Friday Loser-out against Deer Lodge (not that impressive...I had Deer Lodge as the weakest team in the field). The Fillies then lost to Cascade in their Saturay Loser-Out. Overall...the East went 1-4...and I expected something better.

Congrats once again to Fairfield, Whitehall, and Malta...your 2008 State B Girls trophy winners. And congrats to the North, who proved they were definitely the Division to beat this season.

No comments: