Thursday, February 14, 2008

I can't believe this day is here again...

No, I'm not talking about Valentine's Day (but I hope you are all having a good one already.) No no my friends...in my world, today is not a happy day.

Today marks the official start of the 2008 Baseball Season, as pitchers and catchers report to spring training.

Don't get me wrong: I am not against baseball...in fact, Playoff Baseball can be one of the most exciting times in sports. But it seems like the '07 season just ended (actually, it hasn't been too long...about 3 1/2 months). We are still about 8 weeks from opening day, which will be the 1st of about 150 meaningless games until we get to late September when the Playoff Picture comes into view.

To me, until then, the baseball season is way too long. A team will play 162 regular season, usually 6 days a week, and by summer when it is the only sport going, it gets extremely monotonous. You can even see it in the players' faces by the dog days of summer. In August, a team is usually merely trying to avoid a disastrous fall rather than rising in the standings.

The only thing that's gets me through the season: Fantasy Baseball. Try it. Trust me, it'll raise your interest 100%.

Until then, let's go Lakers!

No comments: